Wednesday 14 October 2009

Another BizTalk Deletion...

From the Database Structure and Jobs page:


Warning

In the BizTalk Management (BizTalkMgmtDb) database, there's a stored procedure named dbo.adm_cleanupmgmtdb. DO NOT RUN THIS STORED PROCEDURE! If you do run this stored procedure, all the entries in the database will be deleted.

Why, I wonder, this obsession with deleting the entire contents of a database?

All this, plus talk of the fact that BizTalk can have distributed transactions pending across several databases makes me distinctly ansty.

First job, therefore, for a bemused DBA with a whole new BizTalk system? Figure out how to configure backups. Clearly, my usual weekly-full-backup, daily-differential-backup and hourly-transaction-log-backup model is not going to work here. Not from a DR perspective anyhow. There will be tears and upsets if I'm not careful.

Luckily, I have some Test databases to play with, as well as the ones on the Live Server. So I shan't destroy the entire business if it goes a bit wrong.

Certainly, this is something to build into the DR plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment