Friday 16 April 2010

Nothing to do with SQL

For months, now, I have been unable to navigate to the software server from my PC: every time, I'd get a login box, and then an account locked error. Bizarrely, I can RDP to the server just fine, and navigate to the various folders on it if I'm on any other machine. Just not from my PC

In the event viewer on my PC, I found Event 14 (Kerberos)
"There were password errors using the Credential Manager. To remedy, launch the Stored User Names and Passwords control panel applet, and reenter the password for the credential domain\sweetsql"

Well, there's no such applet in the Control Panel, but some googling revealed how to get to it, courtesy of tweekxp.com.

Click on START - RUN and type the following (follwed by ENTER):
rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr

It seems that Windows XP sometimes stored login credentials in a local cache, and this can be completely out of synch with the rest of the domain or corrupted. Rather than modifying the password in the Stored User Names and Passwords applet, I decided to simply delete the reference to the relevant server: it saves it all going wrong the next time I change my password (and, if I remember correctly, it first started happening when I changed my password).

Although this problem wasn't SQL based, it could affect you when you are using Windows Authentication to connect to a server via SQL Management Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment